What do these ultrasound scan reports indicate?

Dr. Mahesh Koregol

Infertility Specialist

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Pregnancy
Question: Hello Ma'am,

I have one question related to my wife early pregnancy.

Her last menstrual cycle start date was on 16 July'2015 and probably she conceived either at July end or first week of Aug. We are confused at her ovulation date as she is suffering from PCOD and it might be possible that she would have ovulated late.

We did her first scan on 19th Sep with following result.

1. Sac size - 1.51 CMS
2. Sac appears regular, fundal
3. Yolk sac seen
4. No subchorionic bleed
5. Sac age - 6 weeks 2 days
6. Foetal pole not seen

We did her second scan on 1st Oct with following result.

1. Sac size - 7.5 mm (mean)
2. Embryo seen of 1.4 mm (corresponding to less than 5 weeks)
3. Heart beat not seen
4. No subchorionic bleed

what should we understand from above results, is this indicating that this is going to be a bad pregnancy!!

Thanks for providing us some guidance as we have not received any satisfactory reply from our doctor.
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat ultrasound scan after 2 weeks

Detailed Answer:

I understand your concerns about dates.

Following is my reply:

1. It is difficult to predict exact date of ovulation in women with PCOS.

2. The pregnancy should have been around 10 weeks by now if your dates were to be regular.

3. In such circumstances I suggest you wait for 2 weeks and repeat ultrasound scan to check if heart beat has started and other parameters have improved. Heart beat has to appear by 2 weeks.

4. If no improvement of parameters or non appearance of heart beat after 2 weeks mean pregnancy is non viable and can be terminated.

I hope your doubt is cleared. Let me know if you need anymore help.

Follow up: Dr. Mahesh Koregol 38 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX for your assuring reply.

Request you to eradicate my confusion on following related issues:

1. Is the result of first two ultrasound shows that this baby is abnormal or with some medical complicity!! Our doctor has opined that sac is shrinking and this is not a good sign.

2. Should my wife continue to take following medicines.

a) Dupsatone (currently she is taking one tab a day)
b) HCG injection (she already has taken 8 injection till date once a week)

Thanks to provide your suggestion.

Regards XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Mahesh Koregol 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Continue duphaston

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for additional information.

In that case it is difficult for pregnancy to continue. But I believe chance should be taken . You can continue Duphaston tablets. No need to take hCG injections as they are of no use.

Repeat scan after a week.