• question-icon

What do these pelvic ultrasound results indicate?

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Pregnancy
Question: This was my Pelvic Ultrasound Results. I have an MRI and gyno appt booked but I can't stop searching for what these results mean. Here they are:

The myometrium is inhomogeneous. The uterus measures 10.3 cm in length. The endometrium is inhomogeneous in appearance. It measures 0.91 cm in thickness.

There is a solid inhomogeneous area of 1.8 cm in the right ovary. The left ovary is unremarkable. There is free fluid in the posterior cul-de-sac.

A bilobed, anechoic area is seen posteriorly within the pelvis. It shows no flow signal and it measures 3.6 cm. The possibility of fluid or the presence of a rectosigmoid loop could be considered.

Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tumors must be excluded!

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about these findings and all the inconveniences this has caused you. I have reviewed this report fully and there is need for further investigations. For now, a tumor is likely. Because we are talking about the uterus, benign tumors are a great possibility in the form of fibroids, adenomyosis, etc. It could also be out right cancer but that is less likely given the report and your age.

In all, tumors are most likely in play. Benign is more probable than malignant at this time. Be calm, knowing further investigations will establish the exact cause and allow for a treatment plan to address this.

On another note: How are your periods? Have you had any abnormal vaginal bleeding? Excessive menstrual blood glow?

I hope this helps and guides. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me and share the findings of the MRI.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 17 hours later
Could you breakdown the results paragraph by paragraph. My periods are regular. Only symptoms I have are extreme bloating and back pain.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 8 hours later
Brief Answer:
See responses to each paragraph below!

Detailed Answer:

1. The myometrium is inhomogeneous. The uterus measures 10.3 cm in length. The endometrium is inhomogeneous in appearance. It measures 0.91 cm in thickness.

Explanation: means the thickness of the uterus is not all the same. This is normally of same consistency and thickness. Presence of other substances/tissues often cause this.

2. There is a solid inhomogeneous area of 1.8 cm in the right ovary. The left ovary is unremarkable. There is free fluid in the posterior cul-de-sac.

Explanation: The right ovary that should show same aspects is not and there are areas showing different consistency. This means that there are changes in some parts of the ovaries.

3. A bilobed, anechoic area is seen posteriorly within the pelvis. It shows no flow signal and it measures 3.6 cm. The possibility of fluid or the presence of a rectosigmoid loop could be considered.

Explanation: This is probably an intestinal loop. Follow up imaging studies will elaborate on this.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to follow up with me if need be.
Dr. Chobufo Ditah