• question-icon

What do these beta hCG levels indicate?

Posted on Wed, 25 May 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: dr XXXXXXX XXXXXXX ,OBGYN

hello madam,

hope u remember me , earlier i had sent reports of my wife regarding pregnancy ... i m enclosing the beta hcg reports and others of my wife .. her LMP is 08/02/2016 ... but my concern is her hcg level is very low dont know what to do? on 08/03 her hcg level is 21.4 and on 11/03 level is 87.4 ... please suggest wheather she is pregnant or not ? my priority is her health rest all is secondary ... waiting for your reply
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 8 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Repeat bHCG levels after 48 hours

Detailed Answer:
Hello sir, good to talk to you again.
Yes she is pregnant for sure as the levels are rising but the rise is slow but still within normal limits (may be because it is too early to test)
Ask her to have complete rest as much as possible and wait for 48 more hours and get repeat bHCG levels.
Avoid intercourse and any heavy work or stress.
Ask her to have tablet susten or gestone 300 mg sustained release tablet at night time daily and let's hope for the best.
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 27 hours later
Maam thank u so much for ur promt reply...just wanted to let u know that she has also started folic acid medicine from today... our local gyneo has asked us to repeat d beta hcg test again on 14th march and once this level crosses 1000 an usg would be performed to check whether the foetus is in uterus or tube...both of us are unable to understand whether such condition(low hcg) is common or unusual and what are d chances of healthy pregancy in such circumtances... apart from this my wife is suffering from severe burning sensation in her vagina and it has become reddish... the burning is so severe at times thatshe feels as if someone has sprinked red chilles in her vagina... what shall we do pls suggest?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Precautions advised

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, yes low bHCG levels in initial days are common but not a welcome sign.
Frankly around 50-70% of pregnancies abort after a while if not taken care so rest and progesterone support is the only medicine for her right now.
This burning in her vagina is all because of pregnancy status and thus common so just ask her to apply Candid B ointment twice a day for 7 days and use cotton based undergarments only.
Avoid scratching and apply talcum powder to keep the area healthy.
All the best dear.
Take care and I wish her a healthy pregnancy.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 29 hours later
hello maam, her today beta hcg report is 206.7 " on 08/03 hcg is 21.4 11/03 hcg is 87.4 14/03 hcg is 206.7" kindly suggest ?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rising trend so good news

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, this is a good rising trend so I think a good news only but still you will need to be extra cautious so as to have a healthy pregnancy.
Take as much rest as possible for at least two weeks and all the medicines well on time.
All the best
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 44 hours later
thank u so much.... got the test done today again and the value as per today is 575.3.
Brief Answer:
Good rise

Detailed Answer:
This is indeed good and since the rise is steady nothing to worry.
Just follow all the precautions as told and wish you all the best
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar
Follow up: Dr. Manisha Jain 2 days later
hello maam, thanks a lot for your support .... today we receive the urine culture and rutine report ... i request you please go through it .. urine culture showing growth of E.Coli .. colony count: 40000/cu.mm. ... kindly suggest what to do? due to this is their any complication in pregnancy ? kindly check the attachment for both the reports ?
Answered by Dr. Manisha Jain 55 minutes later
Brief Answer:
No complications

Detailed Answer:
There is no complications in your pregnancy as it is common to have mild urinary infection in early pregnancy.
Just visit a gynaecologist and get her examined and keep taking rest.
Regarding this infection the count is a little low but not insignificant so take antibiotics just as a precaution.
I usually give tablet nitrofurantoin in this case but that is a prescription drug so you will need to visit your doctor for the same
Dr. Manisha Jain

OBGYN