What do the following CT scan result indicate?

Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal

Posted on Fri, 31 Mar 2017 in Women's Health
Question: I was seem yesterday in the er because of abdominal pain. I had labs and a ct scan done they came normal. However the doctor told me that I have small ovarian focicles and referred me to a gynecologist. Does that mean I can't have kids?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
The finding does not indicate infertility

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for the query at healthcare magic

I have gone through your question and I understand your concern
You don't have to worry at this point and the findings seen in CT scan are not indicative of infertility/ inability to get pregnant

Small follicle /cyst in the ovary can be a normal finding.During menstrual cycle eggs which is maturing to be released develop within follicles .This in turn lead to enlarging follicle which can be seen in imaging studies like CT scan.

Even if multiple follicles are seen it does not necessarily indicate polycystic ovarian syndrome(PCOS). PCOS is diagnosed only with the background of irregular menstrual cycles, weight gain, male pattern hair development like hair on face,hormonal imbalance, elevated blood sugars etc.If scanning shows multiple cysts in a patient with the above mentioned symptoms,it support the diagnosis of PCOS. However finding of multiple follicles without any other relevant symptom cannot be diagnosed as PCOS.

Follow up with your Gynecologist for further evaluation.
Do not worry at this point,as the findings in CT scan alone is not an indicator of infertility.

Hope I was able to answer your question
Please feel free to address any more concerns
Dr.Lekshmi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 19 minutes later
Dr. Lekshmi I'm just concern why I was referred to a gynecologist? Also why do I have small ovarian folliciles?
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 54 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Impression:Normal Ovarian follicles

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for addressing your question here.

I have gone through your query and I also got the chance to review the reports you atteched in one of the other question.

After reviewing your report my first impression is that they are normal follicles seen during each menstrual cycles.These follicles indicate ovarian reserve which is the potential follicles that could mature to release an egg during ovulation. One of these small follicles mature and release egg (ovulation ) during mid cycle.

You were reffered to gynecologist probably to review the report including the size and number of follicles so as to confirm if this is normal follicles seen during early menstrual cycle.

The report does not indicate any obvious pathology .You do not need to worry about infertility at this point.

Hope I was able to answer your question
Dr.Lekshmi