What do small lumps above the collar bone indicate?

Posted on Wed, 30 Apr 2014 in Lump
Question: Hi I have 3 small lumps on the left side if my neck just above the collarbone, have had increased shoulder pain for nearly 3 months now could they be related?
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 16 minutes later
Brief Answer: Most likey they are enlarged lymph nodes. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX! Good evening. I am Dr Shareef answering your query. Most likely cause of the multiple swellings over your neck is enlargement of cervical lymph nodes. These nodes get enlarged either due to a primary pathology in themselves, or due to infection or any kind of pathology traveling into them from their drainage areas. You have not mentioned the duration for which these lumps have appeared and if you have got any fever or loss of weight. If I were your doctor, I would first like to examine them physically, along with a general examination of yours following which in case of an acute inflammatory swelling, I would prescribe a course of broad spectrum antibiotics for a week to ten days. In acute inflammatory cause, these might subside and you might be relived of these lumps. In case it persists, I would advise a FNAC (fine needle aspiration cytology) for you by a pathologist. If the report is inconclusive I would rather advise you for an excision biopsy by a general surgeon in your area with a histopathological test of the material. Further management and investigations would depend on the report from the pathologist. Your shoulder pain looks not to be related to these lumps considering the duration of the pain of 5 years. For this you have to get yourself assessed by a orthopedic surgeon and possibly by a a physiotherapist as well. I hope this information would help you in discussing with your family physician/treating doctor in further management of your problem. Please do not hesitate to ask in case of any further doubts. Thanks for choosing health care magic to clear doubts on your health problems. Wishing you an early recovery. Dr Shareef.
Follow up: Dr. M Y Shareef 8 minutes later
thank you for your reply, the shoulder pain has got to severe stage where I cannot move my gp said there is nothing he can do, I have been to a chiropractor, which did relieve it very short term, spent 6 months with a physiotherapist, also have massage once a week but nothing last more than a week, 2nd opinion from a different doctor perhaps?
Answered by Dr. M Y Shareef 5 minutes later
Brief Answer: May consult a orthopedic surgeon in your area. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX! Such a fast response befits your name and proves the concern for your own health. I feel possibly you have got a frozen shoulder. You should avoid lifting heavy weight or doing any heavy work on the side involved. The treatment is a good physiotherapy where both the patient and the physiotherapist have to be patient and co ordinate with each other as the progress could be too slow. For other kind of invasive treatment for the frozen shoulder, I feel that you should consider consulting a good orthopedic surgeon in your area. Thanks and take care. Dr Shareef.
Dr. M Y Shareef

General Surgeon