What do popping in ear along with nausea and dizziness suggest?

Posted on Thu, 11 Jun 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Doctor, One morning in February, I woke up and couldn't hear out of my RIGHT ear. It was the sensation of my ear having to "pop" like on an airplane. Four days later, still "plugged up" but I became very dizzy and nauseated with vomiting. Went to GP. She put me on Mecklazine for nausea and sudafed for "water behind my ear." A couple weeks passed, still no hearing. Went to ENT. Hearing 16% in that ear. Course of prednisone, and MRI ruled out neuroma. I'm to go back in XXXXXXX for another hearing test. I often have sore throat on right side only, any time of year. Left tonsil looks "normal." Right tonsil always "different" looking. Any comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance. XXXXXXX

MRI report ruled out neuroma or any lesions and said there is "slight high T2 signal seen in the mastoid air cells bilaterally which may suggest mild mastoiditis of indeterminate age."
Answered by Dr. Erion Spaho 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Treatment needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for using HCM.

I have read your query and understand your concerns.

Mastoiditis is an infection of mastoid bone air cells, or of middle ear.

The major risk of Mastoiditis is adjacent brain and meninges involvement, but luckily MRI ruled out this issue.

There is need for treatment in order to prevent brain involvement.

In my opinion, you need a thin-cut CT scan with bone window of your mastoid bone to evaluate better the extension of infection.

Regarding to mild symptoms, it seems like a chronic process, anyway antibiotics treatment should be started to prevent any possible acute transformation of infection and spreading of it.

Tonsil ( lymph nodes)enlarged is related to infection on that side.

Hope I helped you. I remain at your disposal for further questions or clarifications.

I suggest you to discuss with your treating Doctor these possibilities.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Shanthi.E
Dr. Erion Spaho

Neurologist, Surgical