Suggest treatment for head cold, sore throat and painful sinuses

Question
I think I have a head cold - sore throat, very painful sinuses. It is especially painful when I lay down. I have been gargling with salt water, and taking Sudafed. I have had a headache for 3 days.
Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
combination meds, warm compress

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

The sudafed would act as a decongestant and help to clear the sinuses and nasal passages.

There are different sudafed products, the sudafed pe pressure, pain and mucus may be the best option for you if you are using plain sudafed--- this contains the decongestant, pain killer--acetaminophen and mucolytic (to help break up mucus so it can drain).
The acetaminophen is the same as the tylenol that you are using so that would have to be discontinued so that you can use the combination tablet

A warm not hot compress to the face, would help with drainage

You can consider adding an antihistamine to this eg benadryl or claritine or zyrtec or allegra.

If a cough starts then you may need a cough suppressant eg robitussin

Rest and fluids are also very important

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions