What do persistent lower abdominal cramps indicate?

Dr. Manjunath Metri

General Surgeon

Posted on Sat, 3 Jun 2017 in Abdominal Pain
Question: Two nights ago, I woke up several times with cramping in my middle, lower abdomin. Since then, it has not gone away or decreased in intensity. I would say it's a mild to moderate constant cramp made worse when I have to have a bowel movement, which the urge not go seems to have increased over the past day or so. It hurts significantly more to sit on a chair and it hurts slightly more to stand. The best position is to lay on one of my sides. When I push in on any part of my lower abdomin and release quickly, it sends a stabbing pain in the area I push; it is the same pain whether pushing on either sides or the middle.

At first, I thought it was prolapse of my uterus as I have experienced that in the past, but because it is made worse when I have a bowel movement urge, I am beginning to think maybe it is something else. Any thoughts?
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 15 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Need further details

Detailed Answer:
Hello XXXX, I thank you for posting your query here..
Welcome to HealthcareMagic...

I will analyze all your points below..
Please note

1. So you have pain abdomen since 2 days

2. Pain increases on sitting and standing.

3. You can elicit tenderness, by pressing on the abdomen and experiencing pain.

4. No, it does not seem like uterine cause.

Please answer the following questions...
1. Do you have any vomiting or Nausea associated?
2. Any loose stools?
3. Relationship of pain with respect to food.
4. Any Alcohol intake?

Please get back to me with these answers so that I can assist you better.
Awaiting..

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Manjunath Metri 35 minutes later
1. No vomiting or nausea. Maybe a small loss of appetite, but nothing significant.
2. No loose stool.
3. No change based on dietary intake.
4. I did have alcohol both of the last two evenings.
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
maybe it's Acute Gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Hello, XXXX..
Welcome back.
Thank you for following up.

I feel you are suffering from 2 possibilities:
1. Acute Gastritis due to alcohol intake.
2. Acute Pancreatitis again due to alcohol.

But, most of the times, it will be option 1.

Please follow these advices:

A. Avoid alcohol
B. Drink lot of water
C. Start an antacid/Proton Pump Inhibitor (eg. Omeprazole/Pantoprazole once daily), these drugs are quite effective and will take care of your pain.
D. Avoid, spicy or smoked food, reduce coffee or tea.

Hope this helps, and I will be happy to help if you need further assistance.

Take care...
You can contact me directly at http://bit.ly/askdrmetri

Follow up: Dr. Manjunath Metri 8 minutes later
Thank you!
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
Most Welcome

Detailed Answer:
Happy to help..