What do persistent abdominal bloating, fatigues and itchy spots on the skin indicate?

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Thu, 30 Mar 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: I am concerned about my husband. Symptoms he has had for weeks include upper abdomen bloating and discomfort, constant fatigue, hair loss in patches, itchy spots on skin. His doctor also diagnosed him with non alcoholic fatty liver and ordered more tests, but he refuses to do the tests. He is 55. He is not fat but carries a few extra pounds in his belly. He has chronic hepatitis B. I fear he may have liver disease
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Can be liver cirrhosis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting query on this forum.

The most common causes of cirrhosis are Hepatitis and Non-alcoholic fatty liver disease.Abdominal bloating and discomfort can be because of improrer digestion of food.liver is an important digestive organ because it produces bile. Bile aids in the emulsification of fats. Bile is not an enzyme, but it does contain bile salts that emulsify large fat droplets.Improper emulsification of fats in diet can cause severe belching and bloating.Apart from that fecal calprotectin should be done to rule out inflammatory disease or problem as a possible cause of symptoms.
Hair loss and rashes on skin are symptoms of hepatocellular insufficiency.
It can be a liver disease no doubts,And tests are the only way to find out the cause of problem.

Some base line tests adviced are-
Liver function test
Serum bilirubin-Direct and indirect.
Ultra sound addomen if alreadt done Ct abdomen for a better picture.
Fecal calprotectrin.
Serum iron,calcium and vitamin D levels.

Diet advice-
Low fat diet should be taken.
Natural juices should be taken.
Avoid aerated drinks and processed food.
Carbohydrate rich diet would be better(NATURAL).
For symptomatic relief from bloating Nexium 40 mg twice daily can be taken.
Itching and rashes can be due to elevated bilirubin or livwer enzymes,Till tests are done,Anti histaminic like Allegra(fexofenadine 180mg)can be taken once daily for relief in itching.

But again to treat the problem we need to know Root cause.So convince him to go for basic investigations and follow up with reports.

Hope i answered your query well,Follow up questions are welcome.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng