What do missed periods and negative pregnancy result indicate?

Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar

OBGYN

Posted on Thu, 8 Sep 2016 in Women's Health
Question: Hi
I missed my period from July 8th but home pregnancy test result is negative I need to know the reason and which type of pill use to get period immediately
Answered by Dr. Purushottam Neurgaonkar 16 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Induce periods with Norethisterone. USG if needed.

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dr. Purushottam welcomes you to HCM virtual clinic!
Thanks for consulting at my virtual clinic. I have carefully gone through your query, and I think I have understood your concern. I will try to address your medical concerns and would suggest you the best of the available treatment options.

1. First of all do not panic.

2. There can be some issues with ovarian hormone production, that can lead to missed periods.

3. As you have confirmed that there is no pregnancy, I will suggest you Norethisterone tablets 5 mg twice a day for 5 days; Of course you will need the prescription for the same.

4. Usually you will start your periods within 3 to 10 days of stopping the tablets.

5. I will also, suggest to get USG done to rule out ovarian condition like PCOS as a cause of delayed periods, at your convenience in the future.

I hope this answer was helpful to you!
Please kindly rate it as helpful and write a short review about your experience with me! I would appreciate that a lot.

Thank you and best regards!
Dr Purushottam S Neurgaonkar

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee