What could cause sudden stomach pain after a meal followed by vomiting in a 5-year-old?

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Fri, 16 Nov 2018 in Child Health
Question: my 5 years pols daughter complained of pain in the tummy after dinner,she had a full meal.Then when she went to bed,she vomited all that she had eaten,she did not stop but after that also puked 2 more times.Please suggest what should I do ,she doesn't have fever.She was less covered with clothes today,I feel it got cold today after the rain?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Possibly a viral gastritis

Detailed Answer:

Your child's problem seems to be due to gastritis, possibly a viral cause. A long gap between meals would essentially lead to accumulation of stomach acids (which are meant to help in digestion but the food simply does not come). The excess acids thereby collect and irritate the stomach walls which leads to throwing up.

In order to provide relief, you need to ask for the following:
* Avoid spicy food. Take small but frequent meals. Avoid long gaps between meals.
* Give Lanzol Junior tablet (Lansoprazole)/Nexium (Esomeprazole) XXXXXXX once daily before breakfast.
* Give plenty of leafy green vegetables as well as other sources of dietary fibers. Take fiber supplements like Isabgol/psyllium husk or senna. I would insist you to increase the dietary fiber intake.
* Regular playing or exercise for at least 1 hour a day to keep the bowel movements proper.
* Give curd or yogurt on a daily basis. It contains beneficial bacteria and should help.

I do not think that it has any relation to getting a cold.

Hope that helps.

Dr. Diptanshu Das,
Pediatrician
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T