Owl Image

What causes white tongue with bumps on the back?

Owl Image
Dr. S. Murugan

HIV AIDS Specialist

Question
i have white tongue with bumps on the back side of tongue and purplish, headach 7 week hiv negative
Tue, 2 Sep 2014 in Medicines and Side Effects

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
HIV Antibody test are conclusive by 12 weeks

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to HCM.

White tongue with bumps on the back and sides, head ache are not necessarily be due to HIV manifestation. It could be due some other oral infection or an aphthous ulcer due to reasons other than HIV.
The reliability of negative HIV test by 7 weeks depends upon the type of test done for you. Regular antibody Rapid tests and ELISA are more conclusive by 12 weeks.
You had not mentioned anything about your sexual activities and whether you are married or not? Safe sex is always better.
Wish you a speedy recovery.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: What causes white tongue with bumps on the back? 21 minutes later
i had a new partner 7 weeks ago dont know their status, no protection on night stand. 6 weeks ago i started taking amoxicillin 500mg for tooth infection and started developing sores in mouth, i feel stomach pain also and gassy no diarrhea

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggested another HIV test after 12 weeks.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome back.

1.Your new partner is not necessarily HIV infected girl.
2. Even if she is an infected woman, all intercourses are not necessarily infectious. There many spouses (30-40%) of the HIV infected partners remain HIV negative in spite of their regular sex contacts with their infected partner for years together.
3. Sores in mouth with teeth problem and stomach pain were not specific for HIV.

Any how HIV test after 12 weeks is mandatory to rule out HIV totally, as there is risk of HIV in sex with an unknown woman.
Try to stick to protected sex in future.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: What causes white tongue with bumps on the back? 11 hours later
ok thank you very much i was taking amoxicillin 500mg i got itchy skin and thats when i started to get the white tongue, again thank you very much for your help and time

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
White coating of tongue due to various other reaso

Detailed Answer:
Hi Welcome back.

A white tongue may be due to various reasons including ordinary fever. Not necessarily due to oral thrush or oral hairy leukoplakia of HIV manifestation.
you will be alright soon.
Dr S.Murugan

Follow-up: What causes white tongue with bumps on the back? 3 minutes later
ok thank you very much for your help

Answered by Dr. S. Murugan 4 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Most welcome

Detailed Answer:
You are welcome. If there is no more questions You can close this conversation.
DR S.Murugan