What causes redness and ridges on the tongue?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: My toung is red and has ridges, Hurts and burns with hot food, I feel like I need to just eat oatmeal, I'm upset so my spelling is bad. My computer is very slow................
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
It can be oral thrush or gloassitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all it's sad to know what you had been going through lately.

Based on the history you have shared, you are likely having oral thrush but other causes of tongue swelling or glossitis needs to be ruled out. Oral antifungals drops like Nystatin and iron, folic acid and vitamic C supplements will help.

You mentioned to be retaining fluids so over hydration in your case isn't recommended but drinking less also can aggravate the UTis so it's better to keep intake comparable to urinary output.

Citrosoda XXXXXXX can help with both urine burning and heart burn or mouth burns with foods. Avoid spicy, sour foods and fizzy drinks. Urinalysis to confirm UTI and antibiotics like ciprofloxacin may help in that regard.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj