What causes white stringy vaginal discharge?

Dr. Rakhi Tayal

OBGYN

Posted on Wed, 4 Nov 2015 in Women's Health
Question: I was having some vaginal itch and I took a fluconzole to be on the safe side. This was a week or two ago. I no longer itch inside but now I have this cottage cheese discharge very light but no itch. Why didn't the pill help how it should. I also used represh insert gels to balance my ph
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be a bacterial vaginosis.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
The cottage cheese like discharge is suggestive of a vaginal infection. It can be a fungal infection or a superadded bacterial vaginosis. Contact with an infected partner can also cause a re infection.
I suspect however that what is causing this is either bacterial vaginosis or possibly a sexually transmitted disease. For this reason I recommend you see your doctor as soon as possible for an examination and appropriate medical management. This will usually respond quickly with a properly selected antibiotic. Trichomoniasis can cause these symptoms and is always transmitted sexually.
You can use a vaginal pessary like Gyno Daktarin once a day for 2 weeks till then. Please follow the instructions on the package carefully.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Regards.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Rakhi-Tayal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Sonia Raina
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 23 minutes later
I've had bv before and I have no odor. I also don't have a STD. Can the fluconzole I took still be in my system and it took out the yeast that's why I have discharge now
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not due to Fluconazole.

Detailed Answer:
Hello.
Thanks for writing again.
The fluconazole that you took is not likely to be the cause of discharge that you are having now. It is likely to be a recurrence. Do start inserting the vaginal pessary and see if it helps.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad