What causes white spots on scalp?

Dermatologist
Question
I have a couple white spots on my head about the size of a XXXXXXX Is there any cure for them?
Posted Sat, 9 Aug 2014 in Skin Hair and Nails

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please provide pictures and more details

Detailed Answer:
Hi

I understand your concern regarding your skin problem and I hope I am able to help you in the same.
Development of white patches over the scalp can occur due to various causes.
I would like to know certain more details from you.
Did you have any red raised lesions over your scalp prior to development of white patches?
Any itching in the white areas?
Any loss of hair from the white patches?
Any whitish scales over the patches?

Can you please click some close up pictures of the skin condition and upload them here on this raidi I would like to have a look at the exact skin lesions before we can be sure of the diagnosis .

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What causes white spots on scalp? 1 hour later
No red lesions were ever there prior to, no itching (maybe minor) from normal itching, nothing excessive, no scales ever and can't even feel them when you rub fingers over them. I just believe it was from the sun.

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 36 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks post inflammatory , certain more details

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

I have seen the attached pictures.
These are basically lesions of post inflammatory hypopigmentation .
Before we discuss the treatment, please tell me certain things.
One is that , is the hair growth over the white areas normal?or is it decreased? Are there only white hair over the lesions or mixed grey and black , as is seen in rest of the scalp?
Second, whether the lesions are static or are increasing in size?
Since how long you have them.

Dr Geetika Paul

Follow-up: What causes white spots on scalp? 59 minutes later
The hair growth and color seem normal to me like the rest of my scalp. I believe they have remained the same size. I've had these for a year or so during the summer months. We took a trip to Florida last year and I think that's what may have set it off, (balding plus the Florida sun may have took its toll). I'm from Wisconsin and they seem to fade during the cold/winter months if I remember correctly. Been rubbing the vitamin E gel and aloe vera on my head for about a week but doesn't seem to be doing anything ..yet.

Answered by Dr. Geetika Paul 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Long term treatment , avoid sun exposure

Detailed Answer:
Hi again

It is good to know that there is normal hair growth over the lesions and there is no associated itching also. It basically rules out the more serious disorders .
You are right. This condition can be precipitated by sun exposure especially in those who are susceptible to it.
You should apply a topical steroid cream like cortisone over the affected areas twice a day.
You can continue to use vitamin e and aloe vera gels . These basically act as hydrating agents.
You might need long term treatment for the skin color to return back to normal.
You should take care to avoid sun exposure as much as possible .

Dr Geetika Paul