Suggest treatment for white spots on the upper lips

Posted on Wed, 12 Apr 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: Hi doctor I have white spots on corner of my upper lips, I visited two doctor one said it is vitiligo and other told me that this is not vitiligo. My question is that if it is vitiligo how I can cure and if cure is not possible than how can I control it to spread ? What is the best solution is it curable or controlable plz help, thanks and regards XXXXXXX tiwari
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 42 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Kindly upload an image

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us.

I am dr kakkar (dermatologist).
I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.

Vitiligo patches are completely depigmented i.e milky white unlike other causes of white patches on face which are usually hypopigmented rather than depigmented.
The differential diagnosis of white patches on face include pityriasis XXXXXXX nevus depigmentosus, post inflammatory hypopigmentation, pityriasis versicolor etc.
Differentiation beween vitiligo and these other conditions is usually possible on clinical examination however sometimes it may be difficult to differentiate early vitiligo i.e previtiligo from other condition. Previtiligo may appear hypopigmented.
I request you to click a good quality image in natural light and upload in "Reports section" so that I am able to have a look.
Treatment for a single patch of vitiligo most commonly includes either topical tacrolimus 0.1% ointment or topical moderately potent steroid ointment e.g mometasone furoate 0.1% ointment.
Both these are effective first line treatment options.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 30 minutes later
Sir thanks for your answer, I m uploading a image, plz tell me what is that, bcoz when I touch that white patches area on lips both corner ,skin of both area is not smooth I can my lower lips which have no white patches is smooth but skin where white patches are not smooth and start itching when I touch with tounge but not always. and plz tell me weather we can controll spreading of vitiligo can I do exercise in gym or not In the image only corner sides a white patches are my concrrn on upper lip white patch are due to bite from teeth and from 10 yrs .this never increase or decrease it is as it is since 2006. Plz tell me what is the solution for this white patches on corner side will they spread on my entire body, plz help sir thanks and regards
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Not vitiligo. These are fordyce spots

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Thank you. I have viewed the images.

These light colored patches on lip are certainly NOT vitiligo. These patches are actually fordyce spots on lips which have coalesced to form light colored patches. Fordyce spots are ectopic sebaceous glands, commonly on lips and appear as light colored spots. Sometimes these individual fordyce spots may coalesce to form patches.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 59 minutes later
Thank you very much sir ,so what is the treatment for these forcyed spots can they spread means how can I treat this problem and how much time it will take to cure. Thanks and regards XXXXXXX tiwari
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Fordyce spots

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

They can be ablated/ vaporised with Carbon Dioxide Laser. A session or two would be sufficient. Results are immediate. I suggest that you talk to a dermatologist regarding the same. Fordyce spots are just a cosmetic concern and most people accept the condition once they become aware of their exact nature. The spots are localised to sites like lips, undersurface of prepuce and labia minora in females.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist