What causes weakness in upper arm?

Question
I have had a weakness in my left arm for 4 months, I believe there may be a problem in the upper arm just as it joins shoulder. No real pain or movement restriction involved, occasionally some light pain. Weakness most evident when trying to grasp something between thumb and fingers. Also, in certain positions I have a continuous thumb twitch, although that started before I noticed the weakness. Male, 50, 190 lbs, excellent health.
Posted Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 32 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Looks like nerve related.

Detailed Answer:

You symptoms are quite specific for a nerve related issue.Such symptoms can be seen in pinched nerve or peripheral neuropathy.

Nerve can get pinched either because of slipped disc in neck or cervical rib pressing on the nerve.

Peripheral neuropathy is damage to nerve due to various reasons.

Ideal next step would be to see neurologist.After clinical evaluation doctor would suggest investigations like xray, MRi , routine blood investigations , vitamin B12 levels and if needed nerve conduction study.

Depending on test results doctor will help you plan out the treatment.

In most cases correcting underlying cause will help relieve the symptoms.

Hope this helps.Please ask if there are further questions.Regards.