What causes weakness and numbness in arm and leg?

Dr. Geldon Fejzo

Neurologist, Surgical

Posted on Sat, 28 Feb 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi, I'm 39 and I went to the ER 2 days ago for Numbness, pain, and weekness in my right side Legs and arms, having headache, and problems hearing. They found a arachnoid cyst on middle fossa and the symptoms have become worse, I have a doc app on Monday and still have to work tomorrow. Since the symptoms are getting worse faster, should I get back to ER or just wait until Monday? I posted CT in what was already tried
Answered by Dr. Geldon Fejzo 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
arachnoid cyst are incidental findings

Detailed Answer:
Hello. I have been through your question and understand your concern.

The symptoms that brought you to the ER are worrisome, while the cyst is not.

Weakness and numbness of the arm and leg is a very serious condition while pain is less. Generally it is caused by a brain damage, though sometimes there is no damage. But these symptoms are definitely not caused by the arachnoid cyst. These cysts are very common findings and your is quite small with no mass effect reported. They are called incidental findings. There are never treated these days.

So basically you should focus on the weakness and numbness of your extremities. If your right extremities are weaker than the left ones you should go to ER again and have another CT scan.

Not to worry you, just to make sure everything is ok.

Hope this helps.
Please feel free for further questions.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Follow up: Dr. Geldon Fejzo 8 hours later
Well. I'm sure not happy with your response due to this cyst is setting on nerves beside spinal cord and this is causing the numbness, pain and he is off balanced with constant headaches and I just seen a story where you docs say they do not cause problems but they do _ the man cyst was removed and he has no more issues _I found more info on the internet then you give me. He is also having issues having to go to bathroom Urgently.
Answered by Dr. Geldon Fejzo 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
incidental finding

Detailed Answer:
Hello.

It is upon you to judge my response. But you mentioned that the arachnoid cyst is in the middle fossa, thus not interfering with your symptoms at all. It is far away from your spinal cord. It is AN INCIDENTAL FINDING. Nowdays it is not treated anymore. It does not improve the symptoms, especially those in the middle fossa. If it was located in the posterior fossa then your symptoms would make sense. I repeat. It is just an incidental finding. No surgery is indicated.
Sincerely.

Geldon Fejzo MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T