What causes vaginal spotting during pregnancy?

Dr. S Patra

OB and GYN Specialist

Posted on Mon, 6 Jun 2016 in Pregnancy
Question: Hi Dr. I am around 5 weeks pregnant and am experiencing mild spotting (brown in colour). Am also experiencing period like cramps in my lower abdomen. The ultrasound did not detect any abnormalities as such and says its too early for any conclusion. The gestational sac measures 13.2 mm corresponding to 4 weeks 4 days plus minus 2 weeks. There is no evidence of any adnexal mass lesion and no free fluid in the pouch of XXXXXXX I got an ultrasound done last week as well and the sac measured 4 mm then. Nothing much has changes since then except the sac size. My LMP was 18.02.2016. I am confused anxious and worried and unclear of whTs going on. Please help me with some answers..
Answered by Dr. S Patra 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Upload scan report. Give additional info.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear,

I suggest you to upload or attach the previous and latest ultrasound scan reports.

1) How may days are you getting this type of spotting?

2) How are those abdominal cramp - mild or intense? rhythmic or irregular?

3) Do you undergo abdominal or vaginal ultrasound scan?

Waiting for your response and attached reports.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Deepak
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 27 minutes later
hi Dr. Thanx for your reply.
1) the spotting started yesterday at around 5 pm. it was very mild and brown in colour. by morning there were just 2-3 drops. but today the spotting turned somewhat close to red (still browinsh tinge) .

2) the abdominal cramps are period like. irregular sort. at times it feels like gas as i burp it gets better. but then again period like pain in the lower abdomen.

3) I underwent vaginal ultrasound scan

I have uploaded the latest ultrasound report that was carried out about an hour ago.

It would be great if your could help me understand whats going on and what to expect. Is there something to worry or things are fine..

This is my first pregnancy and am sort of scared.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rule out missed abortion. Do beta-hCG & repeat TVS.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Thanks for updated information. Followings are my comments:

1) According to LMP (18.2.2016), your current gestational age (GA) is 6 weeks 6 days. However, it DOESN'T correspond with LMP or even ultrasound scan as MSD is 7.6 mm, calculated GA is (30 + 7.6) = 38 days or 5 weeks 3 days. There is lag of 1-2 weeks.

2) At this stage, fetal pole and yolk sac should be visible. Here, I suggest you to repeat vaginal ultrasound scan (TVS) after 1 week and repeat beta hCG after 2 days. It will confirm healthy pregnancy. Otherwise, there is quite possibility of missed abortion as per clinical presentation. Review with reports.

Hope, it helps for your information. Good luck and take care.

For future query, you can directly approach me through

http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/Funnel?page=askDoctorDirectly&docId=63326

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. S Patra 59 minutes later
Hi Dr. Just wanted to request you to throw some light on the probable causes of this situation. Are there any specific precautions that I need to take care? Is there a probability for the pregnancy to sustain and is there something I can do to assist the development of the foetus. I really want the pregnancy to sustain and even if there is a tiny tiny chance I would want to put in all my efforts. Please help me out.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Need to confirm healthy pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hello Dear,

Welcome back again. Sorry to say, it may happen in few percentage.

1) Do above tests as mentioned for confirmation of healthy pregnancy. There is quite chance of missed miscarriage.

Common causes are anembryonic gestation (also called blighted ovum), fetal chromosomal and placental abnormalities, embryonic anomalies, etc.

2) If it is going to be missed miscarriage, you CAN'T do anything to prevent at this stage as it is biological process.

3) I suggest you to continue above said prescribed medicines and visit to your doctor for check up. Take adequate bed rest and maintain genital hygiene. Drink more water and take healthy diet.

4) There is low chance of survival and it can be confirmed only after repeat scan (TVS). Clinically, it doesn't suggestive of healthy pregnancy.

Hope, I have answered your query. Good luck.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Naveen Kumar