What causes vaginal spotting after removal of Mirena?

Dr. Aarti Abraham

OBGYN

Posted on Tue, 5 Aug 2014 in Women's Health
Question: I am 53 & was having very heavy periods for 5 years. Last nov had polyp removed & mirena coil inserted but after 7 months of almost continuous light bleeding or spotting I had the coil removed. The light bleeding & brown spotting has still continued for just over 2 weeks. Is this normal or should I go back to my Doctor. I feel well in myself.
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
GIVE YOURSELF A MONTH TO RECOVER AFTER MIRENA

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for writing to us with your health concern.
When was the Mirena exactly removed ?
For upto a month after the Mirena removal, mild spotting is common, as the body adjusts to the changed hormonal levels.
If spotting persists beyond that, go back to your doctor for an evaluation, including a repeat pelvic ultrasound scan.
All the best
Please feel free to discuss further.