What causes urinary urgency in an elderly person?

Dr. Geeta Sundar

Posted on Wed, 5 Apr 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: Onset of symptoms last night. Urge to urinate, I am having trouble urinating, have BPH, age 64. Experiencing strong pain g in the penis while trying to urinate and urinating; and flow stream is light with a short duration. No stomach cramps or fever, otherwise asymptomatic.is there any over the counter medication or beverages to drink (cranbury juice ?) to address this today; as I'm on Business travel and would like to see my doctor when I get back tomorrow.
Answered by Dr. Geeta Sundar 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Cranberry juice, and if you are able to get valium/calmpose/Diazepam 2.5

Detailed Answer:
Hi try Cranberry juice, and if you are able to get valium/calmpose/Diazepam 2.5 mg--it will relax your muscles and help you pass urine.
Other drugs you can try to get--Buscopan (Hyoscine)and Flavospas-(Flavoxate)-these will help too till you can see your doctor.
Another practical suggestion--find a 60 plus male and ask him if he has any prostate tablets like Urimax with him.
Hope you manage to get at least one of the drugs suggested by me.
Please revert back--regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D