What causes recurrent bloating, severe stomach cramps and vomiting?

Dr. Manjunath Metri

General Surgeon

Posted on Wed, 16 May 2018 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I had bloating and stomach cramps and vomiting all night and morning two nights ago. I had drunk a glass fresh Orange Juice and had a bowl of Ice cream after dinner. it was a horrible night of throwing up all night but went away the next day - i ate the BRAT diet last night, felt fine and today i felt totally normal - until i made a glass of fresh lemonade. I had eaten white rice and brussel spouts and made that lemonade.. , All the symptoms came back. I have bloating, terrible stomach cramps and throwing up again. if i drink a sip of water, i throw up. same as 2 nights ago. Is it the citrus?

thank you and i look forward to understanding why this might be happening. XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Looks like Gastritis.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to HealthcareMagic.
I thank you for posting your query here and I am definitely going to help you out..

I read your question completely and have understood it well enough..

Please note...

1. The symptoms that you are suffering from looks like severe Gastritis.

2. Yes. Lemon containing acidic substances can trigger such symptoms.
Hence avoid lemon for few days.

3. Please do these things.
A. Take pantoprazole drug.
B. Avoid tea or coffee
C. No alcohol
D. Drink lots of water.
E. Avoid spicy foods.

Hope this helps you..
In case you need further assistance, please contact me directly.
Or if can close the question and rate.

Take care..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Follow up: Dr. Manjunath Metri 3 hours later
is there anything i can do for the cramping or pain i feel in my lower abdomen right now so i can sleep? - i don't have much food left in my stomach but i can't eat as it just comes back up.

i have never had this and after reading about it, i did this to myself two nights ago by eating a whole bag of potatoes chips - i only eat fresh food - and mostly vegetables - my body is not used to processed food. plus, i have had a few Aleve's lately due to low back and SI joint pain - plus, the large glass of fresh OJ
And it did totally go away for a day and a half - but i made the mistake of drinking fresh lemonade today.
so i don't think i have anything chronic - can you recommend anything to relieve the pain i feel now? i tried yoghurt as recommended but it came back up - i ate a little white rice - and water.
thank you
Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Explained all your questions below

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome back..
Please note..

1. Yes..
You can take pantoprazole and Buscopan drugs to get relief from such severe pains.

2. If you cannot eat, do not worry.
The body knows how much food you actually need.

3. Better avoid potato chips and other junk foods for sometime.

4. It's ok. Now you know what causes such symptoms in you.
You can avoid them.

5. Yes. Pantoprazole and Buscopan are highly recommended. They will make you feel better.

6. Yes. Yogurt and rice helps.
As it is a bland food..

Hope this helps you..
In case you need further assistance,, please contact me directly.
Or, you can close the question and rate.
Take care..
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Manjunath Metri 12 hours later
thank you
one more question - since i was in pain last night and could not get
pantoprazole and Buscopan drugs - i tried 2 TUMS - they took the pain away and i have been fine ever since
does that mean i did not have a very severe case?
i am fine now
eating only bland foods
question #2 - how long should i stay on bland foods?

thank you for your help

Answered by Dr. Manjunath Metri 21 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Better to start drugs as early as you can..

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome back...

Please note..

1. Since you are fine now, I'm happy to know this.
But, please take these drugs for say 5 to 7 days.
I don't want you to suffer from this situation again.
Tums is ok for now but please get the medications that I suggested.

2. The severity can't be defined in protocol as such. And since you had two such episodes, I still consider it as a severe one.

3. It's always better to stay on bland food considering your age.
It's a good thing.

But, as for now. Atleast a week try to take only bland food.

Hope this helps you..
Take care...
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T