question-icon

How can persistent diarrhea be treated despite being on Pepto-Bismol?

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018
Question: I have had severe diarrhea for two weeks. Anytime I eat something. I have tried various ways to improve the situation, I e eating cheese or other bulky foods, pepto bismal to no avail. Pepto works slightly improving bowel movement to a little harder consistency over the usual watery discharge. I don't really have much in the way of stomach cramps or pain; just some pressure before needing to evacuate. Do you have any suggestions for helping to alleviate this or what the cause might be?

Answered by Dr. Ivo Ditah (35 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Is there milk in your meals? Are your meals different?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks so much for this query.

I will like to know if your meals have changed or you have milk products in your meal. Diarrhea that is provoked by meals often suggests intolerance to one of the meal contents. Kindly check to make sure there is nothing new or unusual in your diet.

In the interim, I will recommend you stop pepto bismol and go with loperamide for better diarrhea control. Also, drink much water to avoid getting dehydrated. If dietary review and loperamide fail to address this, we will get full stool analysis.

I hope this guides and helps. I look forward hearing from you and providing more insights to you.
Dr. Ivo Ditah