Can pancreatitis cause severe stomachache, vomiting and difficulty eating?

Posted on Tue, 15 May 2018 in Child Health
Question: 12 year old girl, 3 years ago had extreme stomach pain upper area, pain equal to that of labor. had pain all night on an average of every few minutes. took to pediatrician, ran blood tests for celiac, thyroid, diabetes, etc., with nothing showing positive. recommended pediatric gastro. went to see him (specialist at all childrens hospital in tampa), ran ultrasound, and exam could not come up with an answer. suggested mild change in diet, and to flush system with enema. did that. pain still present but extremely less than what was. she has complained off an on over the last few years of her stomach hurting her all the time and when she eats it hurts more no matter if its just a salad. now pediatrician want to do same blood tests and ultrasound he did three years ago. tonight she is laying on the couch next to me throwing up and having stomach cramps.no fever. she does not throw up normally when she complains of the pain. tonight is the first time. looking for reasonable explanations other than labeling it ibs. could it be pancreatitis? the pain is in that area. heat from a hot shower make the pain subside for a while. she has not gotten her period yet, but the pain is not in that area at all.
Answered by Dr. Sumanth Amperayani 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
suggested differentials based on the information provided

Detailed Answer:
Hi...by what you quote I feel that these are the possibilities -

1. Vasculitis - auto immune phenomenon

2. Gastro esophageal reflux/ Acid peptic disorder

3. Pancreatitis - but would have been picked up in Ultra sound (but depends on the experience of the sonologist/ radiologist) and elevated amylase and lipase.

4. mesenteric Adenitis - again would have been picked up in ultrasound abdomen (but depends on the experience of the sonologist/ radiologist).

5. Inflammatory bowel disease (keeping in mind the severity. recurrence/ age/ gender).

I suggest you go ahead with the work up based on these differential diagnoses.

Regards - Dr. Sumanth

Dr. Sumanth Amperayani

Pediatrician, Pulmonology