What causes upset stomach, constipation, bloating and pneumonia?

Posted on Mon, 27 Jun 2016 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I have had an extremely upset stomach, feel like I need to have a bowel movement but hardly go at all. I have been sick with pneumonia , flu, and plurisy. Lots of bloating and just ill feeling. I ate hummus last night, but eat that all the time. Just do not feel right.

I also do not feel like I am over the pneumonia
Answered by Dr. Shoaib Khan 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Here are a few suggestions for you ma'am, best wishes

Detailed Answer:
Hello ma'am and welcome.

Thank you for writing to us.

I have gone through your query with diligence and would like you to know that I am here to help. I would like yo start off by saying that hummus is a great and nutritious meal, but it also easily spoils and so you will have to take special care with preparation, handling and also storage (need to keep it refrigerated as much as possible.

As you do not seem to have any specific symptoms of a stomach infection, I do not see the need for antibiotics yet, so here are a few other suggestions that may help you ma'am:

+Drink plenty of fluids
+Avoid dairy products (except probiotics)
+Use probiotics (should be easily available in all grocery stores)
+Increase fiber in food (e.g. raw carrots, broccoli, beans, fruits, fresh fruit juices, kefir, etc.)
+Use one tablet of either ranitidine or omeprazole 15 minutes before each meal
+Make sure there is some amount of physical activity everyday, to promote digestion
+Avoid overeating
+Avoid spicy, fried, fatty and oily food
+Avoid alcohol
+Have 5-6 smaller meals instead of 2-3 larger ones

I hope you find relief at the earliest, but if you do not then it would be best to visit your doctor for a more elaborate evaluation into the cause.

Best wishes.
Dr. Shoaib Khan