What causes upper abdominal pain, gastric and irregular bowel movement?
This has been almost cyclical for the last 2 days. Less in the morning more in the evening.
A contributing factor may be that I have had an umbilical hernia for the last several years. The swelling and other issues though are only recent over the last few days.
Supportive care, IBS symptoms
Thank you for asking
I read your question and i understand your concern. Pain in right upper quadrant of abdomen, irregular bowel movements, bloating distension and associated umbilical hernia are likely an age related bowel function decline and irritable bowel syndrome should be on the top of suspicion list. If the umbilical hernia is severe it might be associated and may as well be a causative risk factor of this IBS symptoms. Consider it repaired if possible provided geriatric limitations are not there.
I would suggest visit a gastroenterologist and let them decide what is best fo ryou and meanwhile modify diet and lifestyle and take some supportive home remedies for the relief of symptoms. Avoid triggers like spices, fatty foods, processed and canned foods, alcohol, coffee, beverages, soda, chocolates , smoking etc. Prefer fiber and fluids and take yogurt and peppermint with each meal. Former is good natural probiotic and later is good natural antispasmodic. Take some pepto ith it and if the pain is severe nexium may be considered.
I hope it helps. take good care of yourself and dont forget to close the discussion please.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of upper abdominal pain
- Snus causing upper abdominal pain
- Greenish stools abdominal pain irregular bowel movements any suggestions
- What causes upper abdominal pain and fever
- What is the cause for irregular bowel movement
- Causes of irregular bowel movement
- What are the causes for chronic upper abdominal pain
- What is the reason for upper abdominal pain
- What causes right sided upper abdominal pain
- What causes upper abdominal pain and rectal bleeding