What causes upper abdominal pain aggravated by physical activity?

Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein

General Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 18 May 2018 in Abdominal Pain
Question: ok.am having moderate far upper abdominal pain, in the diaphragm area , below ribs, directly in the center. no blood in stool, no nausea, no vomiting. Antacids have no positive effect. Tylenol does decrease pain. have had symptom for a week. Appears to be worse after moving around, like riding on the back of a motorcycle on a fairly bumpy road.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Possible hiatal hernia

Detailed Answer:
Hi and welcome to Healthcaremagic. Thank you for your query.

Your symptoms may indicate specific condition called hiatal hernia and this means that stomach is protruding through diaphragm muscle.

It may cause pain that you describe which is aggravated by physical activity. Also it may cause breathing difficulties,nausea, swallowing difficultires and irritation of stomach.

It will also be aggravated by certain food or medications, stress and smoking. You need to avoid fried food, carbonated drinks, coffee, alcohol and spicy food.

You should eat more milk products, vegetables and boiled food. Also, certain antiacid medications may be required and as last option, it is possible to perform surgical repair of hernia especially if there are progressive respiratory discomfort and dyspepsia.

To diagnose it you should do gastroscopy and contrast xrays of stomach.
I hope I have answered you query. If you have any further questions you can contact

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D