What causes unilateral tingling sensation in the face?

Dr. Riddhi Shah

ENT Specialist

Posted on Thu, 2 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Earlier tonight I felt a release tingling sensation that felt cold in temperature. It seem to come from just over my right eyebrow, close to my temple. Never felt this sensation before. I often get sinus infections. A couple of hours later it seem to move to my sinus area in my right cheek on the same side. This is where I still feel it. What do you think this is?
Answered by Dr. Riddhi Shah 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please see the answer

Detailed Answer:
Hi,thank you for posting your query on health care magic.
There can be following reasons for the complain of tingling sensation over one side of face:
1.)Stress or anxiety. With the release of adrenaline during a stressful period, you could have tingling that extends all over your face.I n such a case,stress reduction and Anxiolytic medication like Alprazolam would help.
2.)Neuralgic pain due to irritation or inflammation if the nerve.The trigeminal nerve is just one of the nerves that supplies feeling to your face.In case of irritation of trigeminal nerve,you may have tingling sensation over face.In such a case,consultstion with a Neurologist doctor and MRI brain may be required to find out the cause.Medicines like Antidepressants(like Amytriptilline),Antiseizure(like Carbamazepine),etc are helpful in such a case.
3.)Stroke can cause tingling in your face, but this is a very rare symptom of a stroke. However, some strokes can manifest as minor tingling on one side of your face, so if you are experiencing symptoms such as slurred speech or paralysis to a limb, you should see a Neurologist doctor immediately.
4.) Exposure of your face to cold air may cause tingling. Exposure to Toxins and chemicals are other causes of tingling in your face.
5.) Vitamin deficiencies, such as the B vitamins, can cause nerve damage and tingling to your face.I n such a case,tsking s multivitamin especially Vitamin B12 will help.
6.)Multiple sclerosis is another consideration in face tingling because this disease can cause damage to the nerves and the spinal cord. If you are having persistent facial tingling accompanied by trouble walking, trouble speaking, or tingling in other areas of the body, then you should see a Neurologist doctor for a complete work up.With multiple sclerosis, certain medications are often helpful in decreasing the progression of the disease
7.)Some uncommon reasons for tingling in the face include tumors that are growing on one of the nerves that supply feeling to your face. Head injury or tumors to the brain can cause you to have some tingling in your face but in such a case,you would also suffer from other symptoms like weakness in leg or hands,slurred speech,etc.
8.) Migraine can also cause you to experience this symptom.

Hope this answers your question.I would be happy to answer if you have any further questions.Take care.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana