What causes twitching sensation in the left shoulder and chest?

Dr. Dariush Saghafi

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: Hi

I got twitching in my left shoulder and chest. Recently doctor has diagnosed me with shoulder inflamation. Could this be causing my muscle twitching? Or could it be heart related?
Answered by Dr. Dariush Saghafi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely to be cardiac or from shoulder inflammation

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for your question.

Shoulder "inflammation" is not a terribly specific description for anything that I can point at as a potential cause for "twitching." I assume you mean MUSCLE twitching of the shoulder as opposed to limb JERKING.

However, in any event neither shoulder inflammation nor heart issues of any sort (and especially at the age of 29) could adequately or easily explain shoulder or chest muscle twitching. These types of spontaneous events can happen under normal circumstances or in people who are tired, fatigued, stressed, or anxious.

Most of the time such episodes are very brief and spontaneously resolve as they came on but if not your doctor could consider doing some lab work to check on things such as thyroid gland function as well as checking inflammatory markers, ESR and CRP to see whether there could be some isolated or occult process going on in the body to explain your symptoms.

In the mean time I would suggest getting plenty of sleep and rest, staying away from caffeinated foods and beverages, reducing alcohol intake, and hydrating with plenty of water.

If I've provided useful and helpful information to your questions could you do me a huge favor by CLOSING THE QUERY and be sure to include some fine words of feedback along with a 5 STAR rating? Again, many thanks for submitting your inquiry and please let me know how things turn out.

Do not forget to contact me in the future at: www.bit.ly/drdariushsaghafi for additional questions, comments, or concerns having to do with this topic or others.

This query has utilized a total of 15 minutes of professional time in research, review, and synthesis for the purpose of formulating a return statement.