What causes twitching and pulsing feeling near right ribs?

Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari

General Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 12 Jan 2015 in Abdominal Pain
Question: hi,
Im a 32 yr old female with very recent gallbladder laproscopic removal (6d). the gallbladder was not functioning for many yrs and tried avoiding surgery until 11 days of pain sent me to the er for emergency removal. now With it removed one strange pain or sensation Still has not resolved. my right ribs maybe 7_9 general area keep twitching or pulsing pinching. i associated this With the gallbladder pains, but now thats gone so whats with this weird feeling? on and off ..no consistency.
i also had bilateral breast augmentation 2004 through armpits under muscles. this happens under the right breast or a little below.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 39 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely to be due to Post Cholecystectomy syndrome

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to Healthcaremagic
Greetings of the day
Dear Ms

Some individual do experience pain/discomfort in the right hypochondriac region and under the ribs following Cholecystectomy. It occurs due to diaphragmatic irritation (Liver is situated below the right hemidome of diaphragm ) caused by handling or small amount of blood collected under the diaphragm.
There is definitely nothing to be worried about. Pain is self limiting and regresses on its own. All that is needed is reassurance. If the pain is severe analgesic like Ibuprofen will be helpful.

Do get back to me if you need any further assistance, will be glad to assist you.

Best regards
Dr Deepak Kaltari
Consultant Surgeon
Follow up: Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 5 minutes later
Thanks for your answer. Since this odd pain has been occurring for a few months could the gallbladder disease have caused it to begin with- inflammation affecting that area?
Brief Answer:
Inflammation of Gallbladder does not directly affect diaphragm

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Dear Ms,

Gall bladder inflammation is unlikely to directly affect the diaphragm. Many individuals following Cholecystectomy do experience pain , location ranging from right shoulder tip, right hypochondriac region and under the ribs.
It is self limiting and should resolve on its own. Do mention it to your Physician during your next routine visit.

Take Care

Best Regards
Deepak