What causes tiredness and lethargy while on Vyvanse?

Dr. Ashok Kumar

Psychiatrist

Posted on Mon, 27 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Hello,

I've been on 60 mg vyvanse for a while now and am experiencing extreme tiredness and lethargy by mid afternoon. The medication was prescribed to me for binge eating and has worked wonders for me in this respect, with my only complaint being how early in the day its effectiveness wears off. My first question is would it be safe for a patient to take a second 60 mg dose later in the morning?
My second question is a hypothetical. If a patient were to convey to his/her doctor that they had increased their dose of this medication on their own, what response would you think likely? Is there any actions this doctor would be required by law to take considering the controlled nature of the medication?

Thank you,

XXXX
Answered by Dr. Ashok Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
He may drop you

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for using Healthcaremagic.

I read your query and understand your concerns.

The maximum dose of Vyvanse is just 70 mg per day and any medicine above this range is prohibited by regulatory authorities. In case your psychiatrist want to prescribe more than maximum dose he is required to note the valid reason for doing so. In my opinion you can split your dose of 60 mg in 30 mg in morning and 30 mg in afternoon as dose increase is out of question.

Regarding your hypothetical question if you increase the dose with his recommendation it will be considered as misuse/abuse and he may not refiill your prescription.

I hope this answers you.
I hope this assists you.
If you have more questions I will be glad to assist you further.
If you do not have more questions, please close the discussion and if possible rate the answer for my future patients.

In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
http://doctor.healthcaremagic.com/doctors/dr-ashok-kumar/67386
Thanks and regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad