What causes tinnitus in head while on Aspirin?

Dr. Ahmad Nazzal

Posted on Fri, 23 Oct 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I seem to have a sound in my head when I'm not thinking about anything in particular. Could this be caused by taking low-dose aspirin or from stress?
Answered by Dr. Ahmad Nazzal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Could be stress but need more details

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Thank you for trusting us in HCM with your question. I will make sure to answer your questions up to the best I can.

I do need more information from you to get a fuller idea of what is going on.

Do you feel this sound you are talking about is you or would you describe it as a sound of someone else or something else inside your head?

Can you please describe the sound more?

Is it a sound of someone talking ? If so is it telling you thoughts and you recognize it that its not your normal inner thoughts?

Can you tell me more about the stress you talked about?

In order to help direct you in the proper treatment direction I will need those questions answered. Thank you for your understanding and I hope to hear from you soon.

Best regards,
Dr. Ahmad Nazzal
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Follow up: Dr. Ahmad Nazzal 18 hours later
More details...The sound is something else inside my head. It's not all the time, but it's sort of like a very soft car alarm or the sound of running water. It's not voices of someone else, and has nothing to do with my thought process, which is fine.
Answered by Dr. Ahmad Nazzal 15 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus caused by aspirin.

Detailed Answer:
Dear XXXX,

Thank you for providing more details.

Your description of the sound fits the diagnosis of Tinnitus. Not much is known about the reason behind tinnitus, but surprisingly aspirin can lead to it and can progress to hearing loss.

Please refer to your treating doctor in order to discuss the possibility of stopping aspirin and symptoms should subside afterwards.

In case it does not subside in or you develop new symptoms please refer to a ENT specialist to check on your ears and he or she might refer you to a neurologist if needed.

Thank you for your time, and I wish you a fast full recovery. I hope my answer provided helpful insights into your symptoms please feel free to contact me again for any further questions.

Best regards,
Dr. Nazzal

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj