Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
163 Doctors are Online

What causes ringing in the ears along with hearing loss and headaches?

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Practicing since : 2006
Answered : 2060 Questions
I've seen 2 doctors. I've also emailed back and fourth with Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX on this site. My symptoms are ringing in the left ear. Low grade headache and nausea. I've had these symptoms for more than 3 weeks now. Sometimes the headache goes away with excedrin, sometimes it doesn't.

The ringing varies in intensity from very loud to very soft but it never goes away completely.

My primary care doctor referred me to an ENT because he couldn't find anything wrong. He didn't do imaging he just looked in my ear and that was it.

The ENT stuck a instrument in my ear that blew air into it than told me everything in my ear was functioning properly. They also gave me a hearing test and told me that I had significant hearing loss in both ears for high pitched sounds but was normal for all other pitches.

He couldn't tell me what was causing the ringing in the ear or if it would ever go away. He only said that sometimes ringing in the ears is associated with hearing loss but didn't know if that was the case with me.

For the headaches he just said he's not the kind of doctor to see for headaches. He said he didn't think that my headache was related to the tinnitus. He suggested following up with my primary care doctor or a neurologist.

Dr. XXXXXXX said take flunarizine or cinnarazine for dizziness or vertigo, but I don't have those symptoms.

What do you think is wrong?

Fri, 11 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get examined and evaluated by a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
Ringing in ear with hearing loss should be evaluated by imaging of brain too.
Possibility of some brain lesion can be there.
Examination by a neurologist will be helpful.
For treatment you can try cinnarizine with sertraline or amitriptyline.
Blood pressure should be controlled.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr N Kumar
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Neurologist

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor