What causes ringing in the ears along with hearing loss and headaches?

Dr. Neeraj Kumar

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 11 May 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I've seen 2 doctors. I've also emailed back and fourth with Dr. XXXXXXX XXXXXXX on this site. My symptoms are ringing in the left ear. Low grade headache and nausea. I've had these symptoms for more than 3 weeks now. Sometimes the headache goes away with excedrin, sometimes it doesn't.

The ringing varies in intensity from very loud to very soft but it never goes away completely.

My primary care doctor referred me to an ENT because he couldn't find anything wrong. He didn't do imaging he just looked in my ear and that was it.

The ENT stuck a instrument in my ear that blew air into it than told me everything in my ear was functioning properly. They also gave me a hearing test and told me that I had significant hearing loss in both ears for high pitched sounds but was normal for all other pitches.

He couldn't tell me what was causing the ringing in the ear or if it would ever go away. He only said that sometimes ringing in the ears is associated with hearing loss but didn't know if that was the case with me.

For the headaches he just said he's not the kind of doctor to see for headaches. He said he didn't think that my headache was related to the tinnitus. He suggested following up with my primary care doctor or a neurologist.

Dr. XXXXXXX said take flunarizine or cinnarazine for dizziness or vertigo, but I don't have those symptoms.

What do you think is wrong?

XXXXXXX XXXX YYYY@YYYY
Answered by Dr. Neeraj Kumar 6 hours later
Brief Answer:
Get examined and evaluated by a neurologist

Detailed Answer:
Ringing in ear with hearing loss should be evaluated by imaging of brain too.
Possibility of some brain lesion can be there.
Examination by a neurologist will be helpful.
For treatment you can try cinnarizine with sertraline or amitriptyline.
Blood pressure should be controlled.
Hope you found the answer helpful.
Dr N Kumar
Neurologist
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj