• question-icon

What causes tinnitus after taking Wellbutrin and Buspirone?

Posted on Mon, 31 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Dear Doctor (s),
I had been on a maintenance dose of 50mg sertraline (Anxiety/panic) for about 17 years but had been doing well physically, lost weight, blood work looked great and had retired from a stressful job 3 years earlier, so 6 months ago, I requested a chance to taper off the zoloft under medical supervision. Six weeks later I had an anxiety episode and I was prescribed Wellbutrin (300mg) and Buspirone (30mg) daily, , for anxiety and depression. Ringing in ears is listed as a side effect but Doc says that isn't the cause of my ringing in the ear. Almost to the at day I began this medication, I have had constant, continuous, never-ending, eternal, maddening, incessant (you get my drift?) ringing/high-pitched buzzing/whining to a point that I am going stark raving crazy. cant sleep. (Oddly it is left side only)
Any possible changes in meds I could substitute? Is there even a glimmer of hope that I might recover my old "real" self? I see my regular doctor in 4 weeks.
Thanks for any insight XXXXXXX
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Welcome to HealthcareMagic and thanks for putting up the query

Tinnitus is a common side effect of these medicines but there can be many other reasons as well.
Please get a pure tone audiometry done and send me the report. Also tell me do you have any hearing difficulty?
Start taking tablet cinnarizine twice daily and tablet vitamin b12 1500 micrograms once daily for a week.
All the medicines I have prescribed will be available at prescription only.
Follow up with the required information so that I can suggest you better.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist