What causes tingling sensation in the head and neck pain?

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Wed, 24 May 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am frequently getting this tingling sensation in my head, just above and around my right ear area. I was also having some neck pain on same side. My Doctor (who is excellent) suggested a scan of the next area, which came out negative. She then prescribed some PT for it (which I have not done yet). Now I am getting the tingling without the neck pain. What could this be a symptom of.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

That tingling sensation is not a representation of any serious condition, it doesn't correspond to any brain lesion. The first hypothesis for it would be neck spine degenerative changes leading to compression of upper cervical nerves supplying that area. That is why the doctor ordered a scan of the area. The scan has come out negative meaning there is no compression of the cervical nerves or spinal cord. However there can still be mild changes leading to increased muscle tension in the area which is why the doctor has advised PT.
Other possibilities would include an ear or mastoid cell infection (mastoid cells are some air filled spaces of the mastoid bone behind the ear). However usually it has more pronounced symptoms like pain and fever.
Metabolic or hormonal issues like alterations in calcium and magnesium levels or thyroid dysfunction may cause such tingling symptoms as well. So some routine blood tests may be done for those.
However at the end of the day in most patients no cause is found and it may be simply due to stress.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.