What causes tingling sensation in jaw line, arms and fingers?

Dr. Sandip Kabra

Posted on Tue, 27 Oct 2015 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: i am 48 female with no health issues & do not take any medications - i have been experiencing tingling sensation along my jaw line & my arm & fingers.
Answered by Dr. Sandip Kabra 45 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Needs to be evaluated further.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to health care magic,

If this tingling sensations along jaw line,arms and fingers are not troubling your day to day life or it occurs occasionally then there no need to worry much, because in many cases no apparent cause is found to explain such tingling.

However sometimes this tingling sensations are actually paresthesia, which are associated with few medical conditions such as:

1) lack of blood supply to the particular area
2) Nerve root compression like cervical radiculopathy.
3) Diabetes,thyroid state or vitamin deficiency.

So if this feeling is constant and troublesome then you need to see physician who will examine you thoroughly with complete medical history and order relevant investigations like routine hemogram,RBS,Serum calcium and vitamin D level to rule out above causes.

He may also order X-ray of cervical spine (AP/Lateral view) and MRI of cervical spine to assess nerve involvement.

But do not need to worry like I said in most cases the causes are benign and don't need treatment.

Hope this will help you how to proceed further.

Dr.sandipkabra

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T