What causes tingling sensation in breast?

Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur

OBGYN

Posted on Mon, 14 Apr 2014 in Women's Health
Question: hello I have this strange sensation of an electric wave passing through my left breast starting from the sides.. it last for abt 5 to 10 seconds and leaves a tingling sensation. This is frequently happening for the last 10 days.. Is this something serious? or any PMS syndrome or post mensus effects? it keeps occuring throughout the day..
Answered by Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur 41 minutes later
Brief Answer: Needs evaluation. Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX. The cause for such tingling sensation in breast can be due to so many reasons. There may be some neuropathy, nerve entrapment or some cardiac cause also needs to be ruled out. It is less likely to be due to PMS or post menstrual effect. I will advise you to see your dr. and get local examination of breast and also ECG done. Don't be too anxious and you can take neuro vitamins for the time being, containing methyl cobalamine. I hope you are not diabetic. Thanks.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vinay Bhardwaj
Follow up: Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur 50 minutes later
Thanks doctor for your advise... I will have this examined .. I am just too stressed out thinking that it's not any symptoms of breast cancer. I have done by diabetes test 3 years ago and was not diabetic that time.
Answered by Dr. Kamalpreet Kaur 26 minutes later
Brief Answer: No chances of Breast cancer Detailed Answer: Hi XXXXXXX thanks for writing again. Your worry I can understand. But beleive me these are not the symptoms of breast cancer.Do you have any family history of that. If yes, you can get a sonomammogram done and you will be doubly sure and a great reassurance that everything is fine and nothing to worry. If not and if no palpable lump in breast then you need not be stressed out for this thing. Your dr. will assure you after doing local examination of the breast. I would advise you to learn this and do a self examination of your breast every month after your periods. The tingling sensation may be a part of this anxiety only. You can re check the diabetic status as well . Thanks.