What causes tingling and numbness in the right arm?

Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin

Posted on Mon, 17 Jul 2017 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am an 82 year old female. My right arm and hand are tingly and numb and have been for a few days. I have been attributing it to carpel tunnel syndrome because I am on the computer a lot. Some times the discomfort awakes me during the night. Should I be concerned?
Answered by Dr. Saddiq Ulabidin 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
May need detailed orthopedician or neurological examination

Detailed Answer:
Hi! Welcome to HealthcareMagic! Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. We will try to help you in best way possible. First of all, it is sad to know what you had been experiencing lately.

Based on the history you have shared, it should ne evaluated in detail by a neurologist or an orthopedician to confirm your doubts as involvement of median nerve in tunnel will involve particular group of muscles only and further evaluation on basis of ultrasound and Xray of wrist to confirm any signs of nerve entrapment or structural deformities should be confirmed.

Xray cervical spine may also be needed to rule out any entrapment at the level of cervical vertebrae. Meanwhile analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for pain may help. If pain is intense, more potent analgesics like tramadol or nerve pain suppressants like gaba pentins or duloxetine can be used. Replacement for B12, D3 and folic acid may also be needed.

Wishing you a speedy recovery. Hope this has answered your query, if you have any more questions, feel free to ask. Regards.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D