What causes tailbone pain?
I am a 30 year old dance teacher. No falls. 1 child. 1 operation of full hysterectomy with ovary removal during labour complications plus blood transfusions. Currently take 1mg oestridiol ( HRT) daily.
I have a mri booked for next week, I am in a lot of pain though and considering going to hospital, should I be concerned or not?
This pain is curable
I have read your case history and I have full sympathy with you. Tail bone pain is very frustrating as you cannot sit or relax. As your CT scan report is showing some erosion of bone, we need MRI to see if there is any tumour or infection which is eating the bone. But since it is present from last 10 months it is surely not very aggressive, that is good news for us.
Till you get your MRI done ; I would suggest you following :
1. Avoid sitting on hard floor, if you have to sit for long time use ring shape cushion so there will not be any pressure on tail bone.
2.Take sitz bath - sit in a bath tub with gentle warm water twice daily for half hour.
3. Brufen tablet if pain is not bearble.
4. If MRI report comes normal , then steroid injection can be given in tail bone.This will give good pain relief.
I hope this answer will help you. Let me know if you have any followup questions. You can share your MRI report with me. I will try my best to help you.
Thanks and take care
I am going back to dr thisafternoon as i think i have a vaginal prolapse, well i have a couple of large masses inside anyways which are visible, guess ill find out if its a mass or prolapse today. Would any of this be ralated to my coccyx erosion? If it was a tumor like yourself and others have suggested would it be possible to invade the vagina or cause a prolapse? I have quite a large bulge between the vagina and rectum, and trouble with bowel movements. And what about bloods? The dr has ordered bloods but theyve all come back fine, is it possible for a tumor to not show on bloods? And is there anything else other than a tumor that would cause bone erosion with soft tissue thickining in the sacrum/coccyx? Thankyou
the bulge behind vagina can cause erosion
I am available for any followup questions. As you have mentioned that there are multiple lumps in lower part near rectum. I think this can cause erosion. That can be two type of erosion.
1. It can be due to pressure on the bone.
2. It can be due to bone eaten by tumour.
I think chances of pressure erosion is higher since you have said that erosion is seen since 8 months. This also proves that lump is not very aggressive.
Blood investigations can be normal with tumour.
Whether it can involve vagina or not , that I can answer after MRI report.
As I said before that some time infection like TB can cause such erosion.
I hope this answer your queries. Let me know the MRI report. I will do my best to help you. Do not worry. Everything will be fine. take care.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Cause of tailbone pain
- Hemorrhoids cause tailbone pain
- Infections that cause tailbone pain
- Chronic tailbone pain causes
- Tailbone pain caused by narrowing
- Lipoma cause tailbone pain
- What is the cause and solution for tailbone pain
- Hemroid cause tailbone pain
- What stds cause tailbone pain
- Gas causing tailbone pain
- Suggest treatment for chronic pain due to back surgery
- What is the treatment for chronic back pain in the dorso lumbar region?
- What is the treatment for lower back pain caused by doing squats?
- Suggest treatment for L2 and L4 transverse process fracture
- Would the administration of moderate to high levels of analgesia...
- I have severe pain in my left hip, buttock and groin area
- Should I be concerned about arm numbness after yellow fever vaccination?
- Suggest treatment for weak quadriceps after a cervical spine surgery
- Suggest treatment for constant pain in right hip inspite of having large...
- I have Sharp, quick pain just below left armpit and chest pain, cough...