What causes tailbone pain postpartum?

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Tue, 24 Apr 2018 in Brain and Spine
Question: I gave birth about five month ago. A week ago after Physiotherapy, I found it very very difficult to sit and even breast feed the following morning. So I spoke to my neuro doctor who told me to observe it for awhile. I have disc compression at L4 and L5 and also at T3 and T4. But exactly a week later I realized I am menstruating. Before birth when I menstruate I find it very difficult to poop, plus all the pain that comes with menstrual pain. Will this tailbone pain go away? Also does this mean I have a pelvic issue after birth and also can menstrual cause pain in the tailbone?
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Tailbone pain does not seem related to delivery- explanations given

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for asking at healthcaremagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

It is very unlikely that the pain you are having to be related to delivery. Menstruation might cause some pelvic discomfort and also effect the bowel movement.
The pain you are having might be due to the tailbone or to the constipation you might be having.

To better understand it is to try to find the tailbone and press right at its tip. If you have pain with this and it is due to the tailbone. If you have pain there locally b ut not much aggravated with direct pressing on the tailbone than the pain you have might be due to the bowel and constipation is a common cause for this.

If you have had tailbone for at least 3 months now (confirmed by a doctor or physiotherapist) than this is very likely this will be an issue that might go on for a while as it seems to have become chronic.

There are exercises to try, some patients benefit from them and some don't. Also steroid injection around the tailbone is sometimes effective.
Using a circle pillow to sit where the edges are higher than the central part might also be recommended.

I hope this is helpful and answers to your questions but please feel free to reply if anymore clarification is needed on this.

Kind regards,

Antoneta Zotaj, MD
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T