What causes swollen foot?

Dr. T Chandrakant

General Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 6 Sep 2016 in Lump
Question: I am experiencing a visible swelling on the bottom of one foot, just below the toes. The onset was extremely sudden. It's difficult to step on it-- unpleasant but not terribly painful.
Answered by Dr. T Chandrakant 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Post clear and focused photos and give details

Detailed Answer:
Hi.
Thanks for your query, albeit short and specific.
To recapitulate: Male/67 - sudden appearance of visible swelling on the bottom of one foot - below the toes - difficult to step on it - unpleasant ....

The cause can be some allergic reaction or insect bite or shearing force may be too much walking, tight shoes, twisting trauma (history lacking)
Please post clear and focused photos as it helps for on-the-spot diagnosis in some cases.

I would advise you the following:
Take an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen if it suits you.
Antihistamine like Benedryl or Cetirizine if the allergy is suspected.
Keep the foot in elevated position in laying down position to keep the edema and pain under control.
Consult a Doctor for clinical evaluation and proper diagnosis and prescription based management if required.

Please post pictures and give feedback as to any instigating factors that you can remember like twisting, trauma, insect bite, past history of skin allergy/urticaria, or nay there known medical problems like Rheumatoid arthritis or gout that you are suffering from.