What causes swollen foot and night sweats?

Dr. Lohit K

Posted on Tue, 12 Aug 2014 in Lump
Question: I have recently been experiencing swelling in my left foot and ankle and night sweats. This is new just beginning about 1 week ago.
Answered by Dr. Lohit K 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
evaluation to rule out any pathology.Foot elevatio

Detailed Answer:

I went through the query and understood your concern.

Night sweats are excessive sweating when you are in sleep. This can be normal in some people but can also be a sign of certain infection and diseases.

Swelling in left foot and ankle (unilaterally/single side) needs to be evaluated. At your age of 43, unilateral swelling may be due to any infection or injury at the ankle joint (arthritis or external injury) or any obstruction in the venous return.

If no local lesions or pain in the movements, you need to get done ultrasound (USG) abdomen and pelvis and doppler scanning of lower limbs just to rule out any pathology.

Since the swelling and night sweats are present at same time the USG scanning, X ray of ankle joint along with routine blood tests may guide us for diagnosis. If they are normal then no need to worry as they both can be unrelated and will resolve.

For now do elevation of leg while sleeping and continue the drugs you are taking as necessary.

Hope this information helps you and answered your questions. Feel free to ask for any further queries. I will be glad to answer them.

Wish you good health.