What causes swelling in the testicle?

Dr. P. T. Patil

Urologist

Posted on Mon, 19 Sep 2016 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: any urologists on board?
64 year old male. self catheterization for six months seems to have resulted in epdidymitis. Doctor prescribed cipro but lab work found the ecoli was resistant. Now on cefpodoxime, but after two days, symptoms persist and left testicle has significantly increased in size. Any thought?

assuming that I am not responsive to the cefpodoxime, what should the next course of treatment be? Testicles are approximately 300% of original size. can this be treated at home or is hospitalization likely?

Also what is the possibility of the infection migrating to other organs such as kidney and bladder? What symptoms should I be on the alert for?
Answered by Dr. P. T. Patil 14 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Please upload Urine Culture reprot

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for your query ,based on the facts that you have posted it appears that you have developed Epididymo Orchitis due to frequent and repeated self catheterization which you are doing since last six months and have been prescribed Cifodaxine since 3 days as per culture report but failed to get results .

I shall be happy if you can post me few more details to help me in making comments on your problem.
1) Complete Urine culture report

Normally it takes 4-5 days to see positive results after you start taking appropriate
antibiotics .

I shall suggest you to take two appropriate antibiotics as per culture and sensitivity report .Take anti inflammatory medication like Diclofenac twice daily along with antibiotics .This will help to eradicate the infection and reduce the swelling of testicle early.

Please note that Orchitis takes long time to get cured hence you will need to take medications at least for 3 weeks .

Ensured to drink more water.

Hope I have answered your query ,please feel free to ask if you have more questions , I shall be happy to help you .
Thanks and Regards.
Dr.Patil.