question-icon

What causes swelling in mole on face?

Posted on Fri, 20 Feb 2015
Question: Hi,
I have a mole on my face that was flat...now became swollen over the last 24 hours...is it a concern?
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (2 hours later)
Brief Answer:
It is not a cause for concern in terms of malignancy

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us at healthcaremagic

I have gone through your query and I have understood it.

Change in appearance of a mole over such a short time period (i.e a few hours) usually suggests that it could either be due to a skin infection or irritation.

It is not a cause for concern in terms of a malignancy

I would like to know whether it is sore or painful? Is there redness in the area bearing mole?
Can you upload an Image?

If it is sore, you may use an OTC topical antibacterial e.g 2% mupirocin cream/ ointment, twice daily for a few days.

Follow up: Dr. Dr. Kakkar (22 hours later)
It is a little sore and painful to the touch yes. I'm gonna try to upload a picture.

I have attached a picture on this report.
Answered by Dr. Dr. Kakkar (4 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Use an OTC Topical antibacterial

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

Most likely it is painful because of skin infection in that area.

You may use an OTC topical antibacterial e.g 2% mupirocin ointment, twice daily for 5 days.

Dr. Dr. Kakkar

Dermatologist