What causes sweating in the neck when diagnosed with borderline diabetes?

Posted on Tue, 29 Aug 2017 in Diabetes
Question: I was diagnosed with pre diabetes and reactive hypoglycemia. I am not iron deficient but had a low iron count but not anemic. I am getting this sweating on my neck on the back of my neck. I am not sure what this is from? I check my sugar and its fine in the normal range? Why am i getting this sweating on the back of my neck?
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Likely regional Gustatory sweating or even due to reactive hypoglycemia

Detailed Answer:
Good day,
Noted your question.
Regional sweating or Gustatory sweating is a possibility if the sweating is happeinig in your neck while eating food or soon after eatin food. Apart from that, other possibility is due to regional parasympathetic nerve hyper activity which happens in few people particularly in the diabetes/prediabetes sweating.

Another possibility is hypoglycemia itself, however, you may not get the blood glucose in the " hypoglycemia" range. However, what matters is the speed of drop of your blood glucose. For example, if your blood glucose is 190 mg and suddenly drops to 100 mg with in a short span, you may feel hypoglycemia symptoms due to sharp drop in blood glucose. This is quite common in pre diabetes state with reactive hypoglycemia due to sudden secretion of insulin couple of hours after eating food.
I presume you had an extended GTT( glucose tolerence test) along with the insulin levels to diagnose reactive hypoglycemia.
The treatment at this stage involves low carbohydrate diet with weight loss and exercise. In some cases, Metformin also helps
Binu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 23 minutes later
Thank you so much. Yes, i was pretty sure this was all related to my endocrine problems currently. Thank you for explaining this better in detail. I am on a low carb /protein diet. I am hoping
I can get myself out of the pre diabetic range and hopefully the reactive hypoglycemia goes away with that :)
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Reversible wit careful planning

Detailed Answer:
Yes, it is possible to reverse prediabetes state with careful planning. You must try to acheive a weight loss of 7% in the short term ( 2-3 months) and on a long term try to acheive your ideal weight. Roughly ( in a simple way), ideal weight is approimately = your height in centimeter minus 100. Example, if you are 180 cm tall , your ideal weight is roughly 180-100 = 80 kg. This is a rough but easy calculation.

Regular exercise ( aerobics and some weight training), and a low carb diet will help to reverse prediabetes state. Take fresh vegetables, and limit use of fruits and fruit juices. Remeber that even Fructose( fruit sugar) can cause weight gain. You may consider meeting a dietician to calculate your calorie requirement and to design a tailor made diet plan.

Wish you good health.Stay positive.Have a great weekend.
regards
Binu
Follow up: Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 22 hours later
One more question, tonight i had all of the sudden sweaty palms and felt off but it was not my sugar then had chattering of my teeth? Earlier in the day i had my face flush really bad and then nausea. The room was a little warm. Does this sound like my endocrine issues?, anxiety, or hormonal probelms? Or something else? :(
Answered by Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggested tests

Detailed Answer:
The symptoms could be anxiety related. However, if you have such symptoms repeatedly associated with facial flushing, I would suggest few tests.
1) serum Metanephrines and Normetanephrines ( blood to be drawn after lying down for minimum 20 minutes),
2) Serum Calcitonin ( blood should be drawn after stopping anti acidity pills (if on it) for at least 10 days).
3) 24 hour urine 5-HIAA ( after diet preparation).

Your endocrinologist will be able to arrange these investigations if clinically indicated after obtaining a detailed history and examination.

The above tests are to rule out various hormone disorders presenting with sweating/flushing episodes.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Dr. Binu Parameswaran Pillai

Endocrinologist