What causes sudden onset tingling, pin needles sensations in fingers?

Posted on Tue, 9 Jun 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I am having tingling/ pins and needles in my fingers. First one hand, now the other is starting. It does not go away.
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Such symptoms can occur in anxiety but medical causes should be ruled out

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM for your health related queries

I can understand your concern. Sudden onset tingling, pin needles sensations in fingers could occur due to a number of reasons. Such symptoms can occur due to nutritional deficiencies like Vitamin B12 deficiency, iron deficiency anaemia so both these causes should be ruled out. In low vitamin B12 levels individuals develop tingling sensations in extremities apart from increased risk of anxiety. Please get your B12 and haemoglobin levels done to rule out these conditions.

Such symptoms can also occur in thyroid disorders. Both hypo and hyperthyroidism may present with tingling in hands. So to rule out thyroid abnormalities you have to underwent Thyroid function tests.

If both these causes are ruled out then other possible reasons for such presentation is anxiety disorders. Anxiety is one of common reason for such symptoms like tingling sensation in extremities, pin needle sensations etc. Apart from this individuals also develop symptoms like palpitations, sweating, restlessness, mild tremors in hands, impending sense of doom etc. Please visit a good psychiatrist for evaluation of your symptoms and take proper treatment.

These symptoms will reduce in severity with Multivitamin tablets. Multivitamin tablets containing B12 when taken for at least 2-3 months help to reduce these sensations. Some times neuropathic conditions can also result in such symptoms. In such case medicines like Pregabalin or Gabapentin can help in reduction of symptoms. Please discuss with your doctor for evaluation and prescription of these drugs.

Thanks, I hope this helps you. Please dont hesitate to ask again for more doubts.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist