What causes sudden onset of weakness in legs?

Posted on Mon, 8 Jun 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi Last night I was getting ready for bed. I took my pants off and went to hang them up when all the sudden it felt like all the blood drained from my waist down. I grabbed hold of the sink and had to stand there for a short while until I thought I could walk again. I took a few steps and realized my legs were like rubber. I waited a few more minutes and was able to walk again but very weak. Today when I woke up I have soreness in my lower back and right above my knees but able to walk without any issue, just a little weak.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Can be due to nerve compression by bulging disc.

Detailed Answer:
The sudden feeling of weakness in the legs can be due to a nerve root compression at the level of lower spine. This can happen in case of degenerative disc disease.
For this condition you have to do stretching & strengthening exercises in which you have to stretch tight muscle & strengthen weakened ones which will alleviate stress on the back muscles.
The following measures will help with the pain
• Lie on a hard bed.
• Anti -inflammatory drugs like Tablet Motrin 1 tablet as and when required ( do not repeat a dose before 6 hours) with food will help relieve the pain.
• Correct your posture while sitting
• Avoid prolonged sitting
• Avoid strenuous activity & lifting heavy weights.
• Apply diclofenac gel on the affected area. Warm compresses will also help.

Adequate rest and proper nutrition is equally important. Drink lots of fluids since dehydration affects the disc. Eat a diet rich in fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables, nuts, milk, eggs, pulses and cereals.Do brisk walking exercise for 40 minutes daily. Get 6-8 hours of refreshing sleep daily.
In case the problem is persistent then do consult an orthopedician for investigations like MRI scan and proper treatment.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon