What causes sudden onset of rapid heart rate and excessive sweating during stress?

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi

Psychiatrist

Posted on Wed, 16 Aug 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: Hi I am a 61year old female that has had a sudden onset of rapid heart rate, lasting at times less than a minute to a couple of hours. It usually happens during periods of high stress and in the evening when the day is winding down. Today it happened during the day at work - not the norm. I shut my door put a cool towel on my neck, did deep breathing. It did not go away but the rate went down. It is over 109 where I live so the sweating didn't stand out till I poured sweat and then was tired as heart slowed. It wasn't till I got home and lied down for about 30 minutes did it disappear.
I am a little tired after but in the morning it is like nothing happened and it is usually months before it happens. I take no medications, drink soda, a drink once a week or not. Don't smoke cig but have smoked pot not recently. Have a heart Mumford from childhood rehnattic fever. Do worries right do self care until they get more frequent. Only asking because it was at work
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Most likely these are due to anxiety.

Detailed Answer:
Hello thanks for asking from HCM

I can understand your concern. The symptoms like sudden onset rapid heart rate or palpitations, sweating especially during stress or exertion point towards anxiety. Even if you were at work and had no stress at that time even then anxiety episode can occur.

Since there is history of Rheumatic fever and you had murmer in childhood so I'd advise you to get one EKG done to rule out any cardiac cause.

The EKG will come normal then we can easily label the reason of your symptoms as anxiety. Association of stress also proves this.

If the symptoms persist and occur in increased frequency then please talk with a psychiatrist for opinion.

Thanks and Take care