What causes sudden increase in BP readings with history of heart attack?
ADVICE FOR SUDDEN HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND HEADACHE
Thank you for posting your query in Healthcaremagic.com
I understand your concern
This is Dr. Swarnava dattagupta answering your query
Firstly, you have said that you had a heart attack in april 2014. From your history, it seems like a mild angina attack. Can you tell me whether you take any medicine for that?
Next, you said that you have had an attack of migraine in the back of the head. It is probably not migraine. But anyways do you have migraine from before? Did you experience similar episodes in the past? Or do you take any medicine for that?
Now, for your elevated blood pressure, the exact reason cannot be said without running a few tests and investigations. If you have high blood pressure kept normal with drugs, a sudden rise can happen sometimes. Also the headache that you have experienced is probably because of the elevated blood pressure.
I would ask you to do the following-
Take salt restricted diet.
Avoid alcohol and smoking if any.
Monitor blood pressure at frequent intervals.
Get a lipid profile and an ecg/echocardiography done.
You should be followed up by a cardiologist after your heart attack. Visit him at your earliest for further management.
If your systolic blood pressure remains more than 160 and diastolic more than 100 go to the ER for lowering of blood pressure with injectable drugs if required.
Hope i have answered your question.
If you have any further questions i will be happy to help.
Kindly get back to me with the answers and reports so that i can tell you further.
I have experienced migraines before which would start as a slow ache and increase over time. For this I would take Tylenol.
The sudden pain at the back of the head I have never had before. I have experienced this twice and when I checked my blood pressure it was 170/102.
Since these episodes my blood pressure has remained higher than normal.
I do not take any drug to lower blood pressure.
Medication should read lipitor
FOLLOWUP FOR HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE AND HEADACHE
Thank you for getting back to me with the answers.
Well, you should continue taking the drugs that were prescribed to you following the heart attack.
And, if you have been diagnosed with migraine before and had few episodes, only tylenol may not be sufficient. Drugs like sumatriptan for acute attacks and propranolol for prophylaxis of migraine are very effective. You can discuss your treating doctor for this.
Otherwise, follow as advised.
Get the investigations done and visit your cardiologist.
Wish you good health.
The User accepted the expert's answer
Get personalised answers from verified doctor in minutes across 80+ specialties
- Causes of sudden heart attack
- What causes mild heart attack
- Does sudden withdrawal of atenolol cause a heart attack
- What causes heart attack symptoms
- Low bp and heart attack
- Increased weight after a heart attack high bp stressed help
- What would cause a heart attack if there is no blockages
- What is the main cause of a heart attack
- Whats the bp of a person having a heart attack
- Heart attack with normal bp possible
- Suggest treatment for bloating and flatulence
- What causes sudden increase in BP readings with history of heart attack?
- Does over dosage of Piopar cause leg lymphodoema?
- Suggest treatment for palpitations and anxiety related issues
- Is mineville patch helpful in dealing with breast tumor?
- What causes tremendous weight loss after taking Obimet Sr?
- What causes constant retrosternal chest pain lasting for few minutes?
- Does unprotected sex can lead to pregnancy?
- Does pain in the my left rib cage indicate rib fracture?
- How long do symptoms of prostatitis last?