• question-icon

What causes sudden dizziness?

Posted on Wed, 5 Jul 2017 in Headache and Migraines
Question: Dr. XXXXXXX et al.: I have my PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology, As I understand your answer to my question about my beginning to take Decongestants, I can expect more dizziness. Thank you for your patience in my continually reforming my question to ensure the answer reflects my inquiry. I do hope you are not laughing as hard as I am about my having a PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology but I am sure you understand why, now, I am no longer teaching Histology and studying what (at that time was The) Estrogen Receptor and Human Breast Cancer.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below

Detailed Answer:
Hello! Not sure if you wanted specifically Dr XXXXXXX to answer this or was directed to all of us. Since you say et al and have already rated Dr Kumar's answer I'm going ahead writing.

Have no worry, no worry will be laughing at you we are here only to help.

The decongestants as Dr XXXXXXX said do not interfere directly with your medication, I agree with him.
They may have some side effects on central nervous system though. Of course it depends on what decongesant is used and how, whether topically (nasal drops or spray) or orally. If locally side effects are negligible. If orally as I said depends on what decongestant. Most commonly used ones contain pseudoephedrine or phenylephrine. If those are the decongestants you mean then they have some stimulant effect on central nervous system and may produce apart from dizziness some anxiety, nervousness, irritability and a slightly increased risk of seizures. It is only a slight increase in risk but should be kept in mind.
Another possible side effect would be raised blood pressure, so that should be monitored as well.

I remain at your disposal for other questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 23 minutes later
Dr. Taka,

Thank you for your response. As I understand/believe I do, your response, my ingestion depends on how which (of two primary types) such is introduced, most commonly I can expect some effect upon the CNS, including but not limited to a slightly increased risk of seizures plus an increased B.P..

Thank you Sir,
XXXXXXX xxxxx, PhD

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist